Today we have a story from Tracey of Southend-on-Sea, who is sharing her cautionary tale to urge homeowners to take action!

Fido and The Bakelite Fuse…

Tracey had been living happily in her new house in Southend until one day she noticed a NASTY SMELL lingering by the front door. What on Earth could it be? Then it clicked…

The dog’s bed was next to the door – that must be it! Perhaps the dog had been rolling around in the garden or digging through the bin. So, Tracey gave the dog a bath, hoping to get rid of the smell once and for all!

A couple of days later, Tracey caught another waft of the strong, fishy odour as she was talking to a neighbour on the doorstep! Not again, she thought.

But before she could blame the dog, she heard a crackling noise. It was coming from the old Bakelite fuse box… above the dog’s bed.

The fusebox was boiling – too hot to touch!

Tracey called the Emergency Electricity Helpline straightaway. They advised that all of the power should be switched off immediately.

The Problem with Bakelite Fuses

An emergency team came to look at the problem. They revealed that the polarity coming into the property was all wrong.

Despite the fact that Tracey had a full survey done before purchasing the property, the polarity problem was not picked up.

DID YOU KNOW: Polarity in electrical terms refers to the positive or negative conductors within a DC circuit, or to the Line and Neutral conductor within an AC circuit. In the context of electrical installations, a polarity test is used to confirm the correct connection of the line and neutral conductors.

Old Bakelite fuse boxes weren’t designed to cope with the amount of electrical appliances we use in 2019. They were also likely installed a long time ago when electrical standards weren’t so high! So the fuse box was overheating and causing the plastic to melt. This was giving off the nasty niff, not poor Fido!

The fishy smell coming from Tracey’s fuse box was a warning sign. If left ignored, her home could have gone up in flames.

Luckily for both her and the dog, she caught the problem in time for the professionals to come in and fix it.

Get Your Electrics Checked By The Professionals!!!

Gainsborough Electrical are NICEIC accredited, so you can be sure our engineers have undergone training and checks to:

  • Complete works to British standards and legislation
  • Be able to issue you with the correct paperwork following inspections (like a Part P)
  • Offer the best customer service – friendly electricians, NOT salesmen

Does your fuse board smell like fish? Or have you heard crackling from a plug socket? Then it’s time to get in touch with the professionals! Leaving electrical issues to fester can lead to serious injury and accidental house fires.

Better safe than sorry.

For peace of mind, whether you’re selling your home or not, arrange your electrical condition report. Simply click the button below and fill out the form. Someone will be in touch to arrange a convenient time!

GET A QUOTE

Gainsborough Electrical needs the contact information you provide to contact you about our products and services. You may unsubscribe at any time. Check out our Privacy Policy.

NICEIC Approved Contractor - Domestic & Commercial PAT Testing TrustMark Member Constructionline Member CHAS Accredited Contractor Trading Standards Approved - Buy With Confidence Proud members of Checkatrade.com - Where reputation matters